Some words in English have direct opposite meanings. These words are also known as Antonyms. Study the following words and their opposite
Black White Buy Sell
Day Night Far Near
Light Dark Short Tall
In Out Clean Dirty
Up Down Sweet Sour / Bitter
Top Bottom Beautiful Ugly
Over Under Soft Hard
Throw Catch Rough Smooth
Pull Push True False
High Low Right Wrong
Fat Thin First Last
Heavy Light Old Young
Dry Wet Polite Rude
Poor Rich Slow Fast
Careful Careless Hot Cold
Love Hate Dwarf Giant
Open Shut Good Bad
Give Take Sink Float
Add Subtract Empty Full
Begin End Back Front
Laugh Cry Shallow Deep
Happy Unhappy / Sad Before After
Old New Strong Weak
One Many Wild Tame
Stand Sit Ripe Raw
Yes No Kind Cruel
Warm Cool Win Lose
Big Small Sharp Blunt
Boy Girl Cheap Costly
Man Woman Remember Forget
Brother Sister Reward Punish
Son Daughter Like Dislike
Father Mother Loose Tight
Husband Wife Profit Loss
Uncle Aunt Present Absent
King Queen Friend Enemy
Prince Princess Winter Summer
He She Asleep Awake
Cock Hen Horse Mare
Ox / Bull Cow Peacock Peahen
There are some of the commonly used opposites.
Exercise 1 :- Fill in the blank in the following sentences with the opposites of the underlined words:
- Charlie is rich but Jonny is _______.
- Rita came first in the race but sheela came _______.
- The day is warm but the night is ________.
- My glass is full but your’s is ________.
- Mr. Hardy buys and ________ property.
- I have only one pencil but she has ________.
- We should not be sad but ________.
- The night is dark but the day is full of ________.
- You pull the cart and I will ________ from behind.
- Answer the question with a yes or ________.
Exercise 2 :- Fill in the blanks choosing appropriate opposite words given below:
Big, Tall, Up, Top, Bottom, Down, old, Shallow, Hot, Deep, Cold, Small, Short, Fast, Float, Add, Subtract, Sink, Young, Slowly.
- Tea is _______ but an icecream is _______.
- The see-saw goes _______ and _______.
- Children love to slide from _______ to _______.
- Water on this side of the pool is _______ but on the other side it is _______.
- You should learn to _______ and _______.
- A paper boat will _______ on water but a stone will _______.
- A bicycle moves _______ but a car moves _______.
- The _______ should look after the _______.
- Elephant is _______ but a mouse is _______.
- Giraffe is _______ but a rabbit is _______.